proper 8 ball rack order

General discussions about the rules of various pool related games.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

proper 8 ball rack order

Postby Bazooka_Tooth on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

so Im sure you have all played people who are very anal about the order that the balls go in an 8 ball rack, so my question is, does anyone have a picture or can explain well what the proper order of an 8 ball rack is, as far as solids and stripes order either from side to side or diaganol
Bazooka_Tooth
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby Bazooka_Tooth on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 am

Is this right? just make sure the two corners are opposite as far as one being solid and one stripe and 8 ball in the middle, one in front...

and I always get some people who make a little *sigh* and walk up and fart around with the ball order after I racked them.... what re-re's
Bazooka_Tooth
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby mechmat on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Those people are idiots. Your rack is right. Some people like to alternate every other ball, which puts 2 solids or 2 stripes in the bottom corners, which is incorrect.

This is the description according to the BCA, "The balls are racked in a triangle at the foot of the table with the 8-ball in the center of the triangle, the first ball of the rack on the foot spot, a stripe ball in one corner of the rack and a solid ball in the other corner.."

All of the other balls should be randomly dispersed, but I make sure one group or the other is not clumped together. Oh, and I almost never put the one ball at the head of the rack. If they get pissy about that it's a sure sign they don't know what they're talking about, and there are probably a lot of other rules they don't know either.
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby franz on Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:44 pm

the local pool hall that i play in racks like this
( )
(!) (!)
( )(8)( )
(!)(!)( )(!)
( )(!)( )(!)( )
( )-solid
(!)-stripe
(8)-8 ball
i'm not sure if this is correct, is it?
franz
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby mick on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:35 pm

That is the usual rack but Jimmy Reid came up with another he says breaks with an even spread...more important than how it looks while racked...and I agree, try it. You can also mirror image this rack for the same results.

I use this rack most of the time...when someone says it isn't right because two like balls are touching, I say, then you rack it and show me a rack where two like balls aren't touching...(impossible)...so I always win the argument!

Here is a pix:
"I spent most of my life playing pool, the rest of the time I just wasted." -- Unknown
mick
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby mechmat on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:16 pm

franz wrote:the local pool hall that i play in racks like this
( )
(!) (!)
( )(8)( )
(!)(!)( )(!)
( )(!)( )(!)( )
( )-solid
(!)-stripe
(8)-8 ball
i'm not sure if this is correct, is it?

Technically that is an illegal rack since both bottom corners are solids instead of one of each.
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby franz on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:22 am

ok thanks for the info
franz
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby badandy on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:15 pm

mick wrote:That is the usual rack but Jimmy Reid came up with another he says breaks with an even spread...more important than how it looks while racked...and I agree, try it. You can also mirror image this rack for the same results.

I use this rack most of the time...when someone says it isn't right because two like balls are touching, I say, then you rack it and show me a rack where two like balls aren't touching...(impossible)...so I always win the argument!

Here is a pix:

exact same way i do except i typically would swap the 11 and 6. same results though, you always get two pairs of the same suit side by side.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby TheConArtist on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:58 am

i always rack with the color of the table, if the cloth is green then i do this. Then have the oneball twoball threeball etc... follow each other along with the nineball tenball etc... But i always place the color of the cloth as the head ball to make the ball harder to see for the opponent hehe.

TheConArtist
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby badandy on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:35 am

oops, i dont hit the head ball.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby ToneMonkey on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:50 am

Over here, the photo would be correct if you swapped the 13 and the 4 over.

Start off with making a semi circle in the bottom right of the triangle, all with the same type of ball (stripes in the photos case, if the 13 and 4 are swapped). In the photo this is the 10, 14 & 15 balls aswell as the 13 if the change is made. There will be a solid in the middle of the semi circle. Then you make a diagonal line of 3 balls next to this semi-circle using the other type of ball (solids in this case), the 4, 2 and 7 ball (if the mod above was made). Next to this goes another diagonal line of 2 balls using the other ball type (stripes again), then in the corner goes the alternate ball again (or a diagonal line of 1 ball, 6 in this case). Now the 8 ball can be dropped in, so you only have the three balls at the top of the triangle left. 2 solids and 1 stripe, put a solid at the front so you have one of each type left. Put the last 2 balls in so that you don't have a diagonal line of one type of ball (for example, if the 3 and 9 were changed over, there would be a diagonal line at the front of the 1, 3 and 7, this would be wrong).

Well it's a bit hard to explain but I'll try to draw a diagram.

ToneMonkey
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby qbilder on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:49 pm

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Qbilder/balls.jpg[/img]
Not many know why the balls are colored & numbered the way they are. The pic above is why. Notice that the balls are in order by color & by numbers. Every other ball is next in line numerically, separated only by it's corresponding colored high number ball. Of coarse, it's not a legal BCA rack, but it is actually the proper rack, or at least in eyes of the man who invented the modern billiard balls. Just some food for thought :mrgreen:
qbilder
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby mechmat on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:10 pm

If you switched the 13 and 5 it would be legal. It would mess up the pattern but still look cool :P
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby qbilder on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:00 am

Notice that there are total six of each on the outside of the rack, which is comparible to the BCA's intended idea. It's a perfect rack in stripe:solid proportion.
qbilder
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby mechmat on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:47 pm

Comparable but not compatible. It probably doesn't make much of a difference most of the time, but I could see where on a soft break the solids could be more likely to break out of the rack.
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Return to Rules of the Game